Monday, March 23, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!


Well, I've finally hit that mid-century milestone! I didn't get dragged kicking and screaming - quite the contrary. Were the economy more cooperative I'd have thrown myself an ass-kicking shindig but between my own extended unemployment and loans up the wazoo, it wasn't going to happen. However, it was an enjoyable weekend with a surprise gathering of former work friends in Astoria. My friend Kathy Kandis invited me out to dinner for the occasion and then surprised me by inviting our friends Sandy and Phil DeCarlo - all of us survivors of The Bank of New York. Kathy is still fighting the good fight there. We all of us, with her mom Barbara, had dinner in a Greek restaurant where I came thisclose to trying some octopus. When it came down to the nitty gritty however, I caved. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. And not for nothin' but of all the things on my "Bucket List" eating scungilli is way, WAY down at the bottom ~ right above kissing a waterbug!


Anyway, it was so nice of her to put this together and we all had a lovely time. The best part for me, was sitting around the table back at the house, jawing over coffee and cake with my friends. I remember my college room-mate, Mary Kane, who used to say when we were all sitting around the table in our college apartment after dinner, "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight?" Well, I wasn't rich then, and I'm sure as hell no richer now, but I feel rich. Sitting around with people you care about, in a cozy atmosphere is a rich feeling indeed. Props to Kathy and her mom Barbara for opening their home to us all!


Next day was the actual Natal Anniversary. My mom made my favorite cake - a yellow butter recipe with real chocolate buttercream icing. Tim surprised me with a choice of three trips which we'll take in the fall - either Niagara Falls, New Orleans, or a cruise to Nova Scotia. I'm leaning towards Niagara cause it's been years since I've been there and he never has - despite his many trips to Buffalo in his youth. I do believe the highlight of the day ~ apart from the cake and the gifts was the WAY oversized musical Hallmark card he gave me that plays the Chicken Dance! And if I ever figure out a way to load the music up onto one of these blogs, you are all in for a treat! Happy Birthday To Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment